About chapter and HTML splitting
Generally, ePub need to be split into small HTML files, it can be split freely, but splitting on chapters is the way ePub Maker adopts.
There are at least three reasons to split,
- Slow devices(such as Nook, SONY) can not show an ePub with large HTML files.
- Loading and page turning can be much faster.
- Each chapter can start from a new page.
- ePub Maker can create TOC automatically.
You need to insert section breaks in Word so that ePub Maker can split chapters automatically for you.
There're some other things to notice,
- Please insert section break for each chapter. You can insert more section breaks where you want an item in TOC.
- ePub Maker only recognize section break, page break can not be identified as chapter splitter.
Following "chapter" means ePub chapter, it can be or not be literal chapter of your book.
From A Word Document
ePub Maker(from 1.1) can split Word HTML on section breaks. So inserting section breaks between chapters will make ePub chapters naturally.
- Insert section break between chapters or where you want.
- Import, each section will be converted into a separate HTML file, thus a ePub chapter of the book.
- Extract automatically from first heading or type or paste each chapter title in the file list.
If the split function is disabled(in advanced tab) or there's no section break in the Word document, the document will be converted to one big HTML file, so no chapter information then.
Check up "Auto create chapter title" and select "from first heading" if you have set headings in each chapter, (title should be set as the first heading format in MS Word)
From Multi HTML Files
ePub chapter can be the same as book chapter or not. It depends on whether you put each chapter in a HTML file.
- ePub chapters are assigned naturally from HTML files.
- Chapter title can be generated automatically from file name or HTML title.
- Chapter title can be edited directly in the file list by clicking the cell.
- By dragging the left bar of the list, you can rearrange the order of the chapters.
- Click a chapter/file name and click preview button, you can view the chapter as webpage.