You may need to re-arrange your Word document to make better ePub book.
You can optimize your document by following steps:
- Insert section breaks as chapter splitter.
- Apply heading style for each chapter title, and book title.
- Apply Normal or other style for all your body text, make them uniform.
- Remove all unnecessary and unsupported formattings.
There'are three principles for a Word document for ePub,
- Structure is more important. Organize your document with headings and section breaks clearly.
- Simple is better. Format you document with elegant and simple formatting and styles. Avoid complex formatting.
- Forget all things related to paper print such as page size, margin, background, header&footer, page number, etc.
Avoid bad design
Some bad habit in Word editing should be avoid for not only better result but also much better efficiency and less work.
- Blank lines as gap You needn't use blank lines to separate paragraphs, pages. Insert section breaks to separate chapter, pagebreak for new page, set margins in paragraph style to change gaps between paragraphs.
- Spaces or tabs as indent You needn't type spaces for indent. Set indent in paragraph style.
- Direct formatting for paragraphs Don't apply direct formatting to paragraphs one by one. Select or define a style then apply it to all target paragraphs.
- Fragmented text Text with too many fragmented formatting piece is difficult to maintain and modify, try to join them and unify them by applying styles.
- No headings Don't apply big font size and formatting to a heading paragraph, give it a proper heading style instead. And do not organize them in confusing heading levels.
- Fixed layout ePub should be reflowable for different devicse, fixed layout will only make it difficult to read.
Because of the specialty and limitation of eReaders, many features in Word are not supported at all.
- Columns ePub and eReader don't support column till now.
- Textbox will generate very complex HTML and can not be converted properly.
- Media Video and audio are not supported in most eReaders till now.
- Page all things related to page are meaningless in ePub, ePub should fit different screen sizes.
- Effects in Word generally can not be converted to HTML correctly or even make errors.
Some features in Word can be supported by some devices(or softwares) and not by others.
- Fonts used in Word generally doesn't exist in most eReaders.
Kindle generally supports one font, Nook and other ADE devices only support
font family(except embedding), iPad and other Apple devices support several internal fonts.
Make full use of B I U is a more practical way.
- Color All e-ink devices are mono, so all colors can only be shown as gray there. Font color, colored picture, background would be only used for non e-ink screen, such as iPad, iPhone and Nook color.
- Pagebreak iBooks doesn't support pagebreak inside a chapter.
- Align Stanza doesn't support centered alignment.
- Size of picture and table should not exceed the size of target screen. Use table with fewer columns.
- Internal TOC ePub uses external TOC, which is more convenient for readers. External TOC can be created by ePub Maker automatically. So please remove internal TOC, except you want to make a epub then convert to mobi for Kindle.
- Dingbats and symbols eReaders doesn't support fonts like Wingdings and Symbols, so dingbats and symbols in Word can not be shown correctly in ePub. Please use simple symbol or small images instead.
For more tips please visit my blog at epingsoft.com/blog.