Options - Import
Items on "Import" tab work before the "Make" procedure, they take effect during "Import ...". You need to re-import to make the modification take effect.
Basic Import Settings
- Auto Extract Chapter Title Auto generate chapter title from
file name or HTML title. But you can always edit chapter titles in file
- from File Name The file name will be set as the title.
- from HTML Title HTML Title will be set as chapter title, useful if every HTML file title is already set well. If the HTML title is blank, the file name will be set as title.
- from First Heading The first heading text will be extracted as chapter title. If there's no heading in the chapter, file name will be used instead.
(This is added from version 1.2)
- Auto Split Word HTML Split Word HTML into pieces on section breaks, this function will make Mobi more fast to load and paging, and a TOC(list of chapter titles) can be generated naturally. Strongly recommended.
These items are only for importing Word. Word can export images on your demand.
The images on the same book may look smaller on Kindles with high resolution, while bigger on those with lower resolution.
Generally the default value 96 ppi is proper for most images, if your book is only for high resolution device such as Kindle HD, you can select a higher resoltuion.
Higher resolution makes image file much bigger, be aware that KindleGen has a image size limiation — you file must not bigger than 217 KB, a very strict limitation.
- Graphic Foramt
The concepts of graphic and image are a little confused, let's pass it.
Word exports some images in JPG format, some in GIF or PNG format, and all vectors and graphics in GIF/PNG format.
This option decides if Word exports GIF or PNG, it doesn't affect JPG, all images should be exported in JPG will still be exported in JPG.
The difference between GIF and PNG is the compatibility on terminal devices, if you found there's problemon showing the picture, please try the other format.
Remove HTML Elements
These options are mainly desogned for importing from webpahes. Those elements on webpage while not supported and unecesssary on Kindle can be filtered by these options. But we recommend you use high quality source files without these garbage.