You may need to re-arrange your Word document to make better Mobi book.
You can optimize your document by following steps:
- Insert section breaks as chapter splitter.
- Apply heading style for each chapter title, and book title.
- Apply Normal or other style for all your body text, make them uniform.
- Remove all unnecessary and unsupported formatting.
There're three principles for a Word document for Mobi,
- Structure is more important. Organize your document with headings and section breaks clearly.
- Simple is better. Format you document with elegant and simple formatting and styles. Avoid complex formatting. Remember, Kindle is too simple to support complicated document.
- Forget all things related to paper print such as page size, margin, background, header&footer, page number, etc.
Avoid bad design
Some bad habit in Word editing should be avoid for not only better result but also much better efficiency and less work.
- Blank lines as gap You needn't use blank lines to separate paragraphs, pages. Insert section breaks to separate chapter, pagebreak for new page, set margins in paragraph style to change gaps between paragraphs.
- Spaces or tabs as indent You needn't type spaces for indent. Set indent in paragraph style.
- Direct formatting for paragraphs Don't apply direct formatting to paragraphs one by one. Select or define a style then apply it to all target paragraphs.
- Fragmented text Text with too many fragmented formatting piece is difficult to maintain and modify, try to join them and unify them by applying styles.
- No headings Don't apply big font size and formatting to a heading paragraph, give it a proper heading style instead. And do not organize them in confusing heading levels.
- Fixed layout Mobi should be reflowable for different devices, fixed layout will only make it difficult to read.
Because of the specialty and limitation of eReaders, many features in Word are not supported at all.
- Columns Mobi and eReader don't support column till now.
- Textbox will generate very complex HTML and can not be converted properly.
- Media Video and audio are not supported in most eReaders till now.
- Page all things related to page are meaningless in Mobi, Mobi should fit different screen sizes.
- Effects in Word generally can not be converted to HTML correctly or even make errors.
Some features in Word can be supported by some devices(or software) and not by others.
Kindle simply doesn't support any font, (except courier new).
Make full use of B I U is more practical.
- Color All e-ink devices are mono, so all colors can only be shown as gray there. Use gray colors for different text is a practical way for better effect on Kindle.(Only Kindle Fire support color)
- Size of picture and table should not exceed the size of target screen. Use table with fewer columns.
- Positioned Image, including aligned image, image wrapped with text, will generate complicated HTML that can not be recognized correctly by eReaders.
- Dingbats and symbols eReaders doesn't support fonts like Wingdings and Symbols, so dingbats and symbols in Word can not be shown correctly in Mobi. Please use simple symbol or small images instead.
For more tips please visit my blog at epingsoft.com/blog.